The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), requires all employed persons in Kenya to file their annual Individual Income Tax Returns (Employment Income Tax) also known as PAYE or Pay as you earn.
The deadline to File your tax returns on the iTax portal is usually 30th June every year to avoid the 20k penalty.
Here is how to file your income tax return if your income is from employment only.
1.Step 1 usually entails getting your P9 form from employer.
2. Search on Google for Itax- KRA which is the ITax online service area. The direct link to the website or portal is https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
3.Log in using your KRA pin. Then Continue, Enter your password,
In case you do not remember your password click on forgot password or Unlock account then do the arithmetic then submit and your password will be emailed to you on your registered email address.
Using the new sent password you can then reset and key in your new desired strong password that you can easily remember.
4. Once logged in update the professional details then proceed to the Returns menu at the top and select File Return. (If you only want to file your Returns Using the Excel Return)
5. Then proceed to select the Tax Obligation: Income Tax – Resident Individual then click next.
6. Click to download the Income Tax Return Form in Excel using the provided link. (If you only want to file your Returns Using the Excel Return)
For Employment Income Only select ITR for Employment Income Only at the Returns Menu. Then proceed to fill in the sections. Filling in any question that is applicable to you on section A, F, M, Q and T. then submit and download the acknowledgement receipt following the procedure as follows :
7. Section A Part 1: Enter your Pin, Type of Return, return period from and return period to.
8. Proceed to section F: Details of Employment income( self) and enter details of Pin of employer, name or employer, Your gross pay, allowances and benefits from employment other than car and housing, net value of housing as per the P9 Form.
9. Proceed to Section M and select the PIN of your employer, Name of the employer from the drop down, Taxable salary, Tax payable on taxable salary, Amount of Tax deducted as per the P9 Form. (Some P9 forms refer to Taxable salary as Chargeable Pay)
10. Proceed to section T: Tax Computation and enter the defined or pension contribution figure from your P9 Form. Actual amount contributed by the employee up to a maximum prescribed limit of 240,000 in case your actual contribution is higher.
11. Enter your personal relief (16) as per the P9 Form.
12. In case of a Tax refund you will be required to fill the bank details on Section A Part 2: Bank Details before you validate the file.
At section Q: Fill in the tax paid in advance if applicable. This is the last step before submitting if you filing for Employment income tax only. Then Submit.
Once you have confirmed that the Taxes Computation details are matching with your P9 Form or correct Tax due or refund calculated, validate and generate the upload file. The zip or upload file is saved automatically under your documents. (Only when you file your Returns Using the Excel Return)
13. Proceed back to Income Tax – Resident Individual Form and fill in the return period if filling for the first time otherwise the return period will prepopulate.
14. Upload form by choosing the generated upload file or zip in your documents folder on your computer.
Agree to the terms and conditions then submit.
15. Download the acknowledgement Download Returns receipt.
Here is a tutorial on how to file your Individual Income Tax Return (Employment Income Tax) If you only want to file your Returns Using the Excel Return.
Here is a tutorial on how to file your Individual Income tax return for employment income only.